Cacao, the most pure superfood form of chocolate, provides antioxidants and energy in this delicious green morning smoothie.
I don’t include cacao in my smoothie every day, so when I do it’s definitely a treat! This recipe also works really well with superfoods like maca. It’s also a perfect recipe for chaga and reishi in either powder or tincture form, or brewed as a tea in advance and using the chilled tea in place of the water.
Recipe – 2 Servings
- 1 large banana or 2 small bananas
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder or (if you have a high powered blender) nibs
- 2 large handfuls of fresh baby spinach (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup raspberries (or strawberries, mixed berries, or cherries)
- 1 scoop of protein powder of your choice (optional)*
- 18 oz. filtered water
- pinch of stevia to taste (optional)
*I love Sunwarrior Protein-Vanilla! It’s my absolute favourite.
**Frozen berries are ideal, or frozen bananas. If none of your fruit is frozen, use ice cubes in place of some of the water.
If you have a high powered blender like a Vitamix, you can put all of your ingredients in and not worry about the order of things. However, if you’re working with a standard blender, you can use this order of operations to make things work more efficiently in your machine.
- Start with your liquid and your fruit: berries, banana, and the liquid. Pulse first, then blend.
- Add your protein powder and then the greens on top so that the powder doesn’t puff up. Pulse, then blend.
- Once all of your ingredients have been added, taste your smoothie and determine if it needs a little sweetener like stevia. You can usually skip this step altogether, and definitely taste first before assuming that you need sweetening. Only the addition of bitter superfood powders should require the addition of sweeteners as the fruit is already sweet enough.
Enjoy! Keeps well for 36+ hours in a mason jar in the refrigerator as needed.