You know what’s way creamier than putting almond milk into your smoothie? Almond butter or whole almonds if you have a high speed blender like a Vitamix. Also, if you use any protein powder (I like a good vegan vanilla protein powder most mornings) then just plain water is fine for the basic texture and adding almonds starts to add depth of flavour.
I did go through a huge raw food phase and I still believe in the power of raw food, however roasted almonds have such a wonderful flavour. That’s my preference when you really want to accent the “almond” in any kind of recipe.
To make a great green smoothie, of course you need something green and kale is a great choice. It’s not as neutral in flavour as spinach so I don’t use as much of it. But it does pack a wonderfully nutritious punch!
Here’s a simple, tasty recipe to try:
Ingredients – 2 servings
- 18oz. of water
- 1 large banana, preferably frozen
- 2 heaping tablespoons of roasted almond butter
- 2 kale leaves of curly kale, or 3 of Russian or dinosaur kale
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to your blender with the greens last on top.
- Blitz it in the blender, serve, and enjoy!
You can also garnish with slivered almonds and chia seeds if you like a little crunch.